Meet your council
The primary role of the Council is to act as a representative, informed and responsible decision maker in the interest of its constituency; exercising and carrying out the powers and functions of local government assigned to the Council under the Local Government Act (NT) 2008.
East Arnhem Regional Council is governed by a democratically elected 14 Member Council representing the 6 Wards of East Arnhem Regional Council.
The Role of Your Elected Members is to:
- Represent the interest of all residents and rate-payers of the council area;
- Provide leadership and guidance;
- Facilitate communication between the members of the council’s constituency and the council;
- Participate in the deliberations of the council and its community activities; and
- Ensure as far as practical, that the council acts honestly, efficiently and appropriately in carrying out its statutory obligations.
The Positions of President and Deputy President are appointed by Council. During the meeting on 11 April 2012, Council resolved to approve a 2 year rotation of the Deputy President role, which would be applied for the period of the the current Council Term (at the time 2012 - 2016). At the first meeting of the new Council on 11 April 2012, Councillor Banambi Wunungmurra was re-elected unopposed as President of East Arnhem Regional Council. Councillor Mavis Daŋanbarr of Gumurr Marthakal Ward was elected unopposed as Deputy President.
As per the resolution made on the 11 April 2012, the Deputy President role was opened at the Ordinary Council Meeting on 26 November 2014. Gumurr Miyarrka Ward Councillor Gawura Wanambi was elected unapposed as the new Deputy President, replacing Cr Mavis Daŋanbarr, with the position to be applied until the end of the current Council term.