Declaration made 25 July 2012
East Arnhem Shire Council (“the Council”) makes the following declaration of rates pursuant to Chapter 11 of the Local Government Act (“the Act”).
1) Pursuant to Section 149 of the Act, the Council adopts the Unimproved Capital Value (UCV) method as the basis of the assessed value of allotments within the shire area.
2) The Council intends to raise, for general purposes by way of rates, the amount of $583,954 which will be raised by the application of:
a) Differential valuation-based charges (“differential rates”) with a minimum amount being payable in application of each of those differential rates.
b) A fixed charge (“flat rate”)
3) The Council hereby declares the following rates:
a) With respect to every allotment of conditionally rateable land within the shire area:
(i) differential rate of 0.0672% of the assessed value of all land held under a pastoral lease, with the minimum amount being payable in the application of that differential rate, being $336.09
(ii) differential rate of 0.318% of the assessed value of all land occupied under a mining tenement, being an active mining, extractive or petroleum lease, with the minimum amount being payable in the application of that differential rate, being $795.42
b) With respect to that class of rateable land within the shire area that is used for residential purposes, a flat rate of $683.94 multiplied by:
(i) the number of separate allotments (including parts, flats or units) that are subject to separate occupation (pursuant to section 147(2)(a) of the Act) on each parcel of rateable land in this part of the municipality; or
(ii) the number 1;
whichever is greater.
c) With respect to that class of rateable land within the shire area that is used for commercial or business purposes, a flat rate of $809.94 multiplied by:
(i) the number of separate parts or units that are adapted for separate occupation or use (pursuant to section 148(4) of the Act) on each allotment; or
(ii) the number 1;
whichever is the greater.
4) Pursuant to Section 157 of the Act, the Council declares the following charges in respect of the garbage collection services it provides for the benefit of all residential land within the following designated communities and townships within the shire area (except such land as the Council from time to time determines to be exempt or excluded from the provision of such services or for which the Council has determined it is impractical to provide such services).
5) The designated communities and townships within the shire area are Angurugu, Umbakumba, Milyakburra, Ramingining, Milingimbi, Gapuwiyak, Galiwinku, Yirrkala and Gunyangara.
6) Council intends to raise $1,159,368 by these charges.
7) For the purposes of paragraphs 4 & 8:
- “residential dwelling” means a dwelling house, flat or other substantially self contained residential unit or building on residential land and includes a unit within the meaning of the Unit Titles Act.
- “residential land” means land used or capable of being used for residential purposes (but does not include land on which there is no residential dwelling).
- the “garbage collection service” comprises a kerbside collection service of two garbage collection visits per week with a maximum of two 240 litre mobile bins per garbage collection visit. The cost to provide wheelie bins, either additional or replacement bins, is excluded from the service fee.
8) The following charges are declared:
a) A charge of $1,442.00 per annum per residential dwelling in respect of the garbage collection service provided to, or which Council is willing and able to provide to, each residential dwelling within Angurugu, Umbakumba, Milyakburra, Ramingining, Milingimbi, Gapuwiyak, Galiwinku, Yirrkala and Gunyangara.
b) On allotments used for commercial or industrial purposes within Angurugu, Umbakumba, Milyakburra, Ramingining, Milingimbi, Gapuwiyak, Galiwinku, Yirrkala and Gunyangara, other than land on which there is a residential dwelling to which paragraph 8)a) applies, Council is prepared to quote on a case by case basis for the provision of a garbage collection service to each such allotment.
RELEVANT INTEREST RATE
9) The Council fixes the relevant interest rate for the payment of rates and charges in accordance with Section 162 of the Act at the rate of 15% per annum which is to be calculated on a daily basis from the date issue of rate notices until the date payment is made,
10) The Council determines that the rates and charges under the declaration must be paid within 28 days of the issue of rates notice under section 159 of the Act.
Payments failing due on a weekend or public holiday may be paid by the following business day, without incurring any penalty.
A ratepayer who fails to pay rates and charges notified under the relevant rates notice under section 159 of the Act may be sued for recovery of principal amount of the rates and charges, late payments penalties, and costs reasonably incurred by Council in recovering of attempting to recover the rates and charges.
Rates Declaration 2012/2013 - Download PDF
Minister Approval 2012/2013 Conditional Rating - Download