East Arnhem Regional Council is undertaking an “electoral review” in accordance with the requirements of Section 23 of the Local Government Act (the Act) 2008. The review must:
• assess the constitutional arrangements presently in force;
• determine whether the current constitutional arrangements provide the most effective possible elector representation for the council area;
• be undertaken at least once in the Council’s term; and
• be completed by March 2015 (i.e. at least twelve months before the next Local Government general election in 2016).
In order for EARC to meet the requirements of this review, and to ensure we maximise opportunities and encourage survey responses, we will be visiting all EARC communities to rpesent the discussion paper to Local Authority Training Sessions.
Dates as follows:
- Galiwinku – 12th November
- Umbakumba – 13th November
- Gapuwiyak – 17th November
- Ramingining – 18th November
- Yirrkala / Gunyangarra – 19th November
- Milingimbi – 20th November.
- Angurugu - TBC
- Milyakburra - TBC
The presentation of the discussion paper to the Local Authority Members, will provide explanation for the survey questions, and encourage as many community members as possible to complete the survey. Notices will be placed in each clinic / Alpa store, Centrelink office (where applicable) and TCU outlet. All surveys will need to be returned to the Council Office prior to the next scheduled Local Authority Meeting (all meetings are prior to the Christmas period).