Youth, Sport & Recreation
Services, funding & grants
Youth, Sport and Recreation services include the following grant funded services:
- Department of Prime Minister & Cabinet's Indigenous Advancement Strategy (IAS)
- Department of Corrections Youth Diversion Program (YDP) - Youth
East Arnhem Regional Council Youth through funding provided by the department of Prime Minister and Cabinet via the IAS and NT Department of Corrections YDP aims to deliver a comprehensive youth strategy in region that:
- improves the health and wellbeing of young people
- provides targeted diversion and case management for young people at risk and support provision of improved pathways for youth returning from juvenile detention, drug and alcohol rehabilitation services;
- improve educational outcomes for young people through supporting education, training and employment pathways and providing case management and support to young people at risk of disconnecting with school; and
- build on youth leadership and mentoring skills through supporting strong relationships with leaders and elders, supporting family connections and participation in cultural activities.
Note: Case Management is not treated in a 'main stream' manner and is specific to the YDP.
Department of Education's Outside School Hours Care (OSHC) - includes After School Care and Vacation Care
Children in the East Arnhem region have access to quality and flexible after school activities through the Outside School Hours Care stream. Outside School Hours Care delivers extra curricular activities that also hold educational outcomes delivered in a way that encourages family and community engagement.
East Arnhem Regional Council Outside School Hours Care stream aims provide affordable and cost effective activities designed to enhance early childhood learning, based on the needs and interests of the children, including the cultural, physical, social, emotional, language and learning developmental needs
Largely developed for young people between the ages of 5 – 12, the Outside School Hours Care stream delivers a range of activities that stimulates creativity, participation and engagement, whilst developing life skills and upholding an educational focus.
In each community the Youth, Sport & Recreation Team delivers different Outside School Hours activities based on available space, facilities and occurring events. Activities such as physical activities and organised sports are always popular choice and often have high numbers of participation. Other activities such as Music, Arts, Crafts, Cooking and Culture are also very popular and enable EARC to create an environment that acknowledges and strengthens the cultural identity and diversity of the children attending Outside School Hours Care.
Sport & Recreation (SR)
The Sport & Recreation stream aims to provide structured, physical and socially interactive sporting activities, events, competitions and games through the nine (9) communities of East Arnhem Regional Council.
The Sport & Recreation stream increases the overall participation and involvement in sport and physical activities of all people living in East Arnhem land. This is achieved by encouraging and increasing community ownership and management of sport and physical recreation activities.
Not only does the Sport & Recreation stream provide opportunities to participate in sport, but it also focuses on delivering skill development and training opportunities in the field to ensure sustainability of the service and increase community ownership.
The East Arnhem Sport and Recreation program is funded by the Department of Sport & Recreation via the Remote Sports Program (RSP) and Department of Prime Minister and Cabinets Indigenous Advancement Strategy (IAS) Safety and Wellbeing Program.
Youth, Sport & Recreation staff
- Improve the quality of programs delivered in communities
- Increase the sporting pathways for community members by providing regional and territory level opportunities
- Increase the number of participants in activities, contributing to improved health and well being
- Support Young People in identifying and participating in programs and opportunities that increase growth and provide a forum to raise views of Young People in East Arnhem